Adviser, UP Digital Transformation; Chairman, Privacy Experts Group, eHealth, Department of Health (DOH)/Department of Science and Technology (DOST); Consultant, Development of a National AI Governance Framework (DTI); Independent Consultant, National Ethics Committee (NEC); Member and Lecturer, Philippine Health Research Ethics Board (PHREB) Committee on Information Dissemination, Training, and Advocacy (CIDTA); Chair, Ad Hoc Committee on Open Data, University of the Phils. Diliman; Program Director (2011-2014), Ethical, Legal, Social Issues (ELSI) Program, Philippine Genome Center; Director (2008-2014), Diliman Interactive Learning Center (DILC), University of the Philippines; Executive Officer (2003-2014), International Association of Bioethics (IAB). He has been a research consultant, Public Assessment of Water Services (PAWS), National Engineering Center; Research Fellow at the UP Center for Integrative and Development Studies; a recipient of several International Publications Awards from the University of the Philippines; a referee of various journals; Research Fellow in Ethical Issues in International Research at the School of Public Health, Harvard University.
Currently working on: AI ethics and governance; data privacy; open data; research ethics; digital humanities; epistemology of social media; ethical issues in genomics; ethical issues in medical tourism; culture of compliance in healthcare; forensic ethics; social stratification in the Philippines.
Some Other Current Initiatives: UP Social Innovations Lab (co-founder, UPSILab - upsilab.org); "Computational Social Research" Workshop Series (convenor/co-orgnizer); eLibraries for Rural Schools (project lead, library.ph); TRIZ (Theory of Inventive Problem Solving) Workshops (convenor/co-organizer).
Contact: psy at up . edu . ph
Some Project Involvements
- Adviser, UP Digital Transformation
- UP Project Director, MICROCASA, 2023-6 ("MICRO-credentials for life-long learning and employability: Building Capacities for developing Agile educational interventions in Southeast Asian Universities"), an EU-funded project
- Consultant, Development of a National AI (artificial intelligence) Governance Framework, Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
- Independent Consultant, National Ethics Committee (NEC)
- Project Staff, “PCARI Research and Instructional Infrastructure for Mentoring and Collaboration (PRIME) and Expanded Project (PRIME+)”
- Project Leader, "A Project to Rapidly Develop A Set of Ethics Guidelines on COVID-19 Hospital Care" (2020; DOST-PCHRD funded). Initial output: ethicists.org/covid-ethics-v1.pdf (22 April 2020)
- Project Leader, “Development of a Data Privacy Toolkit for Research Involving Human Participants in the Philippines: A Participatory Action Research Project” (2018-2020) - a DOST PCHRD-funded initiative: privacyph.org
- UP Project Director, COMPETEN-SEA (2016-9) - an Erasmus+ Capacity Building in Higher Education project to develop, market and deliver Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) in Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines
- Digital Humanities Specialist, Digital Humanities: the Philippine Performance Archive (2016-8) - a project to develop an online database of resource materials on performance practices in the Philippines such as dance, rituals, festivals, and theatres. Initial output: Philippine Performance Repository.
Crisis Management and Assistance to Nationals (CMAN) eLearning Course (2015-6) - a collaborative project of the International Organization of Migration (IOM), Philippine Social Science Council (PSSC), the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and other government agencies
- Chairman, Privacy Experts Group, Department of Health - a group tasked to "develop a framework for an acceptable use and sharing of patient data for eHealth,""develop implementing rules, procedures, and guidelines in relation to health privacy and security," among others. Initial group output: Joint AO 2016-002 - Privacy Guidelines for the Implementation of the PHIE
- board member, nonprofit orgs (health, education, civic)
- proponent, eLibrary Projects for underprivileged schools
- Member, Committee on Dried Blood Spots, Department of Health (DOH) - group tasked to draw guidelines on the use, storage, and disposal of residual dried blood spots (DBS) collected through the Newborn Screening Program. Committee output: DOH Administrative Order 2012-0017: Guidelines on the Use, Retention and Storage of Residual Dried Blood Spots from Newborn Screening
- consultant, eLearning projects
Other Professional Involvements
- Data Protection Officer (DPO ACE DD-2019-683)
- Research Ethics Trainer (PHREB)