The UP Diliman Department of Sociology has been providing quality education, research, and community/extension services through its various programs for almost one hundred years.
It was first founded as the Department of Anthropology and Sociology in the early 1900s and later restructured as the Department of Sociology and Social Welfare in the 1952.
The UP Department of Sociology Faculty in the 1950s. Seated from left to right: Prof. Petra de Joya, Dr. Socorro Espiritu, Prof. Maureen Nelson, Prof. Elsie Hargrieves, and Ms. Fe Rodriguez Arcinas. Standing from left to right: Dr. Richard Coller, Prof. John de Young, and Dr. Bartlett Stoodley. ©Belen T. Medina
In 1961-1962, the Department was established as a distinct unit of the University and came to be known as the UP Diliman Department of Sociology.